Facilitating the Reclaiming and Living of uBuntu and the Emergence of an uBuntu Conscious Society
ART & SPORT
SCHOOLS & EDUCATION
Strengthening of Education, Youth Development and Life Orientation through uBuntu, and growing a new generation of uBuntu Keepers.
The uBuntu Keepers initiative for Schools and Education is a Humanity’s Team South Africa adopted project and the initiative is implemented into schools by the Slypsteen Centre for Development.
The prime objective of the uBuntu Keepers Project for schools and education is to inculcate the spirit of uBuntu in the hearts and minds of learners in schools throughout South Africa and beyond. This is achieved through the building and development of uBuntu Keepers Clubs/Societies in schools throughout the country. These clubs form part of the school’s extramural activities and are developed within and part of the school-own program and activities for Life Orientation. The uBuntu Clubs are no different from any other school club/association and are designed to be managed and developed by learners. This methodology is preferred for two reasons;
• To give ownership of the project to learners
• To impose as little as possible pressure on the school’s available roster time
The uBuntu Keepers Clubs are developed in consultation with the school leadership and with the support of trained external youth facilitators.
Central to the activities of the uBuntu Keepers Club are:
• Setting up of uBuntu Keepers Club
• The uBuntu Keepers Course for High Schools
• Forming of an uBuntu Keepers Editorial body
• An official school and community kick-off
• uBuntu program for the year
• Social development activities (projects and campaigns) within the school and local community